Sunday, June 19, 2011

My dad

After wishing him a happy fathers day and having a long conversation i relised my dad just doesn't get it. of because he doesn't want to but because he doesn't have to. He wasn't the one who was with me in the hospital. He wasn't the one learning everything along side me. No that was my mommy. See my father lives half the country away, after leaving when i was if elementary school. When he found out i had diabetes his first words were which type. Which made me glad either my dad knew more about it then most or knew his way around google. His next words were so great. "well it could be worst"

No, dad for me it could not be worst. My already limited diet from being a picky eater just got harder. My carefree days of just walking to the park or down the street now take thirty minutes to prepare for , and by then i just feel like staying inside anyway. I cant just see my friends when ever i want. now i have to see if whats going on interferes with my meal schedule and i have to see wither or not i will be able to eat during it. If i spend more the five minutes out i have to bring a bunch of stuff with me, only to find out when i get there i have to leave early because i don't have enough test strips or forgot something at home.


 Before i could sleep in till noon, eat lunch and dinner, stay up till dawn then repeat. Now my life will never be the same. No two days will be alike because diabetes doesn't play fair. Some days will hold unexpected low while others unexplained highs. Some days i will be a ray of sunshine while others will make me want to cry for no reason, even when on both days i will have perfect numbers. No task is simple anymore. I know you love me. I know your trying. But you haven't really been i my life for a long time. The only thing you probably know about me is the only thing that hasn't changed sense i was i preschool. My favorite color is purple.



  
P.S. I like the image of a bird free from it's cage. It represents freedom, inspiration, imagination, and such. To me my dad feels like the cat, or person who waits outside that cage. When you're finally free they just catch you again.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all your comments on my blog... so I've taken so long to respond. Life with kids and D makes things crazy!

    Sorry your dad doesn't get it... there are so many people in my life that doesn't get it either. I just try not to spend to much energy dwelling on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Being on different website and blogs really helps. There is always someone online who does get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter when someone is diagnosed, it is such an incredible life change...sometimes I think it's easier for Adam, since he was little and will likely not know any different. For a teenager like yourself...wow. That would be so hard to change your lifestyle overnight.

    Hang in there and keep connected with the DOC. We're all here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was talking about that with one of my nurses who had a husband and son with diabetes, the pros and cons of being diagnosed later in life. Having it be what i know vs. having a normal childhood and being able to understand whats going on and such...hum maybe this deserves its own blog post

    ReplyDelete