Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dx's Part 2?

Well i'm sure we all remember being taught about the big D when we were in the hospital. And after reading some other post i relised what my nurse teacher person said was true. We were more likely then not, their best students. They were explaining how it take two or possibly more days to learn all the basics that they teach you before you go home. They made a simple mistake when it came to us... the left us a text book (the Pink Panther book) "to read when you get home". By that night my mom and I were fighting over who got to read it first. It took us only like a day and a half, i think that's what they told us.

  My family is made of mostly BIG readers. All except dad. The rest i got from hands (HA) on experience and watching. But at night, when we were left alone we had that book. The first time through nothing really stuck to me except the stuff they had taught us, and more about what diabetes was. It also helped that when the nurses were with us they would tell us more about their own experiences with diabetes. Our first teacher, for example, talk a lot about what would be need like the meter and alert bracelets. The second more about injections and the panaceas. I remember when she said it did nothing i called it lazy. (the first teacher was with another dx'd diabetic who wasn't feeling better as fast as i was. He was 6 and i think i could hear him crying from his shots from my room. Wish i had talk to his parents more but i kinda had a lot on my plate. HA)
  My first nurse had a really happy and energetic attitude about it all, while another told us about her husband and son being diabetic. Her husband had been diabetic for years. Like back when they couldn't eat fast food or candy. So she knew all about it. One day at her sons basketball(?) game she noticed he was acting weird. When he hurt his ankle she ended up testing his blood sugar. It was high. When they went to the hospital she told the doctors "Well i got him here because of his ankle but this is what I'm really worried about." So when checking him out they did some blood work. He asked "sense when do they do blood work for an sprained(?) ankle?" she told him to be quiet and when the result came back he was high.
  Sorry for the inaccurateness that is in this and dear nurse of mine, sooo sorry for what i got wrong! I remember one morning it felt like everyone had come to see i within 15 mins. I think one of the reasons that i didn't like the one male nurse i had was because he was so distant. Other then that all the nurses were kind, caring and helpful. I hope i get the chance to see them all again and thank them (without having to be admitted).
 P.S. I also remember an intern who remind me of myself a bit. But im afraid that each time she had to write about me she miss my i.v the "Foreign Body" that i had. It kept hiding behind my hospital gown.

No comments:

Post a Comment