Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dx'd Story

I just remembered my friend is going in to get tested for diabetes because it runs in her family. First her dad, then her mom. She was talking about how she probably wouldn't take very good care of it. Another friend (Who even though she's a little scared she wants to learn how to help me inject insulin and such. YAY for good friends) and i told her ya right and she said she would hold her down so i could inject insulin and test blood sugar. so it made me relise i hadn't written my story.
So here we go i guess.

Once upon a time, in September 2010, i was 17 years old. I had enjoyed the summer hanging out with my friends. One in particular, because she lives close by. In fact i spent almost a week straight at her house. As school started and i was left alone, not yet working or in collage. So i became very lazy once again. And i ate a bunch of junk food and had lots of soda. not horrible bad for you junk food and lots of carbed snacks like brownies.
 Slowly i became more tired, thirsty, and i was getting up to pee at least twice a night. I even spent that night at my friends house (the close by one) and i was getting tired and breathing very heavily. At first i didn't think anything of it. Until someone told me it looked like i had lost weight.
 Quick note. I had always been skinny. And often a little underweight then what i wanted to be. Often people when believe i was anorexic or bulimic or had some other eating disorder. I love my food way to much to have an eating disorder. And i HATE throwing up.
 Anyway, back on topic. Shortly after that i felt sick. No pain, just really sick. I took hot showers to try to feel better. In between i would lay in my sisters bed (because it was the bottom bunk. Mine's top.). When my mm left for work she asked if i wanted anything. I asked for a Gatorade. When my mm got home and gave it to me she said she could tell something was off. She latter told me how I was so out of it i didn't notice she had left. I  remember her saying that we should to to the hospital.
 Slight blank spot. We were trying to get me down the stairs but i was so weak that after a few stairs the neighbors husband carried me to the van. The rest is blank for me personally. My younger sister says i was yelling at her to be quiet. And that i was VERY concerned about my gaterade. Like forgot she took it to put the cap on and asked if i dropped it. My mm says that she carried me to the wheel chair. Some i think i don't remember because i don't want to.. Like them putting in the catheter and iv. I could answer every question they asked me but what month it was. when they offered my mom,sister and neighbor a drink i wanted one to. They told me no so my mom and sister had their drinks in the hallway. Our neighbor apparently was picking on me. They say that one f the nurse walked in and sniffed. She walked up right next to me and sniffed again said,"Bet it's diabetes" and walked out. My mom says that she blinked and went okay...
 I also kept curling up into a cozy ball. Which made the machines beep at me. Mom says that they kept giving her looks like she could do something about it. My mom would pull me straight and i would start curling back up. Again and again. While i rode in an ambulance to the children's hospital she went home t pick us up a few things. Sense no one was with me really, i cant tell you about the ride. If i was as aware as they keep telling me i was i was most likely ogling at everything the whole way. When my mom got to the hospital i apparently asked her what took her so long.
 This is around the time i start remembering things again. I was taken and given a shower by the nurses. I remember thinking about feeling embarrassed and awkward but i was to tired. I was put back into the wheel chair and taken to my room. My mom say i was in the ICU for about a day, then taken to my room for the rest of our stay in the hospital. The second one we call the alien room because outside the door on the desk their were aliens painted. Each floor is themed. The floor i go to to see my doctor so they can check my numbers is weather. The first floor where labs are done has plants and trees.
 Anyway not much after that.Watched movies they had and colored fuzzy poster that a friend of ours gave me. All the nurses and doctors were really nice. All either had diabetes or knew someone with diabetes. Our first teacher who started us using our meter had diabetes. one nurse had a son and husband who were diabetic. She even told us how her son was diagnosed. There was only one i didn't really like and it was the only male nurse i had lol. So there we go. My story. Sometime latter I'll tell you about my first days out of the hospital. Latter

No comments:

Post a Comment